- OF Pat Burrell, SF (10.8% E; 10% Y!) has found a home in San Francisco. After batting just .202 in 24 games with two home runs (42.0 AB/HR) with Tampa Bay, Burrell is hitting .290 in 55 games with 10 home runs (16.2 AB/HR). He's now hitting .385 with 4 HR, 13 RBI and a 1.290 OPS in August.
- OF Mike Stanton, FLA (58.4% E; 39% Y!) is riding a six-game hitting streak in which he's gone 14/24 (.583) with four home runs and eight RBI. His average is now up to .270 after being as low as .217 as recently as July 25th.
- OF J.D. Drew, BOS (42.9% E; 41% Y!) is in the midst of a hot streak (8/27, 4 HR, 6 RBI, 5 R) and on pace for another 20+ HR season.
- 1B/3B Wilson Betemit, KC (0.7% E; 1% Y!) has been the Royals' primary option at third base since they traded Alberto Callaspo, and he has responded by going 19-for-56 (.339) with five home runs in 16 games.
- SP Jeremy Guthrie, BAL (3.7% E; 9% Y!) has run off six straight quality starts (41.2 IP) while going 4-1 with a 1.51 ERA and 0.94 WHIP over that span. He's definitely worth a spot start in favorable match ups against any non-AL East opponents.
- RP Hong-Chih Kuo, LAD (20.7% E; 32% Y!) has taken over the closer role for the Dodgers and definitely needs to be owned while in that role. He sports a robust 11.20 K/9 and ridiculous ratios (a 0.88 ERA and a 0.80 WHIP). A definite own if your league uses Holds too (17 Holds on the season).
- RP J.J. Putz, CHW (12.5% E; 26% Y!) should be in the mix for Saves and Holds while Bobby Jenks struggles through an injury and maybe even a DL stint. Overall, he's carrying a 2.28 ERA, 0.88 WHIP and a 10.38 K/9 ratio.
Stay active on the waiver wire and be sure to keep an eye on your league settings. If you are in a close race or need to make up ground, be sure to exploit any setting that you can. Being aware can be the difference between a money spot or an almost-ran.