- DO expect a nice return to form (25/100/.300) from 3B Aramis Ramirez, if healthy. He's generally the 8th third baseman off the board but you'll only have five rounds to do better.
- DON'T over-value SP Carlos Zambrano. His ADP is around 200. Let the Cubs fan in your league take the risk. ESPN has him ranked one worse than TEX Derek Holland (assigned to AAA this week) and one better than TEX Scott Feldman. At least he won 17 games last season compared to Zambrano's nine.
- DO enjoy steady production from 1B Derrek Lee. He'll never reach his incredible 2005 numbers, but 25 HR/100 RBI/.300 production is worth the 7th round pick. Personally, I'm taking the upside of Billy Butler instead.
- DON'T rely on OF Alfonso Soriano a primary outfielder. He may not disappoint as a 4th or 5th option. Although averaging just 113 games over the last two seasons, he's managed to average 25 HRs and 14 SBs.
- DO hold your breath if drafting C Geovany Soto. Sophomore slump or statistical correction? Projections have him back up to 20 HRs/.270 BA. Good Luck.
- DON'T be surprised if CL Carlos Marmol fails in his new role of Closer. He has all the stuff to be an dominant closer, but his near 8 BB/9 offset his astronomical 11+ K/9.
Players I'd be willing to use a late-round pick on:
- SP Ryan Dempster (12 W, great ratios)
- OF Marlon Byrd (20 HR, .280 BA)
- OF Kosuke Fukudome (10 HR, 80 Runs, .270 BA, #2 hitter in lineup)